Frequently asked questions

You will need an aged care assessment to access aged services – contact My Aged Care 1800 200 422 to arrange one, alternatively you can request an assessment on their website Once you have your assessment you will need to select your provider and apply for care services.For more information on how to access services, please see our step by step guide.

Some aged care providers have a waitlist for people wishing to receive care services.

For in-home and community care packages, a waiting period may apply pending a package becoming available with the provider of your choice. This is because a limited number of packages are made available by the government for providers.

In residential care, a waiting period may apply pending a room becoming available in the residence of your choice.

Whether you are receiving in-home care or residential care, your care needs are assessed regularly to ensure your provider continues to meet them. As your care needs change, the services you receive will be adjusted to suit.

In residential care, some residences offer ageing in place, which enables greater flexibility to accommodate changing care needs.

Learn more about ageing in place

The cost of aged care is dependent on personal financial circumstances. Please see the fees and funding section for a breakdown and description of the costs.

Choosing to receive aged care services will not affect your pension. Your pension income can be used to pay any fees incurred though. Your pension is only affected by your income and assets assessment, which is determined by the government.


Residential Care

If you are a permanent resident then yes, you are able to leave temporarily and return without losing your security of tenure. This is called Social Leave and you are allowed 52 nights of social leave per financial year without financial penalty. Please note that your daily care fees, and any other fees if applicable, will still apply.

Yes, you are able to move from one residence to another should you wish or should the residence no longer be able to meet your needs.

If you are thinking of making a move to or from a BlueCross residence, our Client Services Managers are available to discuss your needs.

When considering an aged care residence there are a number of factors which will help you decide whether it’s the right choice for you. We have a checklist of things to think about to assist in the process.

Learn more about choosing a residence

Each provider / residence will offer a varying range and standard of food and dining options. You can ask for a sample of their menu when touring a residence to give an indication of their quality and type of meals.

At BlueCross, we provide a choice of nutritious meals that are prepared daily by our chefs on the premises.

Read more about our dining and hospitality.

A RAD is a Refundable Accommodation Deposit. This is the maximum lump sum payment for residential accommodation. The RAD is refunded when the resident is discharged, minus any amounts deducted by agreement.

Glossary of key terms

Yes, the government provides a guarantee on RADs paid to accredited aged care providers should the residence become bankrupt or insolvent. This means the RAD will be returned in full (minus any amounts deducted at your request) when the resident is discharged.

'If your aged care service provider becomes insolvent or bankrupt, the Aged Care (Bond Security) Act 2006 guarantees you will be refunded your accommodation bond balance. The Accommodation Bond Guarantee Scheme ensures that if your aged care home can't pay back your bond, the Commonwealth will refund your accommodation bond balance (with interest), after deducting any applicable retention amounts and other agreed fees.

The Commonwealth then assumes your right as a creditor to pursue the defaulting provider to recover the accommodation bond money paid out. Refunds of entry contributions paid by residents entering care before October 1997 are also guaranteed under the Act.' – Dept. Social Sevices

Read the Aged Care (Bond Security) Act.

A DAP is a Daily Accommodation Payment. This is a periodic payment for residential accommodation, paid as an alternative to or in combination with a RAD. It is equivalent to RAD x MPIR / 365 = DAP. The DAP is non-refundable.

Glossary of key terms

Each provider has set their own RADs for each room and will use individual discretion as to whether they negotiate on this pricing.

At BlueCross, we have set our RADs based on location, room amenities, size and aspect, and common/shared amenities within the residence. We are happy to discuss the different payment methods available to find the best option to suit your situation. (We may negotiate on RADs at our discretion depending on individual circumstances. Any requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.)

If you have been assessed by the government as partially or fully supported you will not need to pay a RAD and may only need to pay a contribution towards your accommodation payment.

Learn more about fees and funding 


In-Home & Community care

In-home care is support and care provided within your own home or out in the community to assist you to maintain your independence and continue living in your own home. It includes services such as:

  • Domestic assistance

  • Personal care

  • Nursing services

  • Social support 

  • Transport services

Learn more about BlueCross Care at Home services

In-home care is very flexible and can be provided from as little as one hour up to 24 hours of care. This is provided on an ‘as needs’ basis depending on your wants and needs and is negotiated with your service provider.

The cost of care will vary from one provider to another and depends on the services being received. If you have a government-funded package there may be little or no out-of-pocket cost to you.

At BlueCross, our Care Coordinators are available to explain the costs of the various services we provide. If you are not sure about the services you require, one of our staff can meet with you to provide an obligation-free assessment and cost estimate for you. You can call us on 1300 133 414 or complete an enquiry form.

No, you do not need a referral to access BlueCross Care at Home. You can contact us directly to arrange support for yourself or someone who needs some extra care. We do accept referrals from doctors, other healthcare professionals and organisations such as the Department of Veteran Affairs.

To access services through a government funded package, we require that you have your aged care assessment and details of the package for which you have been deemed eligible.For more information on how to access services please see our step by step guide

Each service provider will have varying qualification requirements depending on the services they provide. As a minimum, all BlueCross personal care workers have a Certificate III in Aged Care or Home and Community Care and all staff members providing clinical nursing care are Registered Nurses. In addition, all staff members undergo a face-to-face interview, full reference check, qualification check and maintain a current police check. We also deliver ongoing mandatory training for our staff members.

Each client has a Care Coordinator assigned to oversee their care plan who is a single point of contact for you. Contact your Care Coordinator to discuss any changes you would like to make to your services.

The benefit of in-home and community care is that is it very flexible and designed to be responsive to the individual’s needs. At the commencement of your services, your needs will be assessed to work out what services you might need and whether support is required on a temporary or ongoing basis. A plan will then be developed in consultation with you and this plan will be reviewed and adapted as needed.

BlueCross Care at Home Care Coordinators are always available and happy to discuss your needs on 1300 133 414 or complete an enquiry form.


Session about to timeout

You will be automatically logged out in 1 minute. Do you wish to remain logged in?

Yes No